Friday, January 9, 2009

And the Painting Begins

Well our baby boy is to arrive in approximately 8 weeks. WOW! This has gone by so quickly! But one of the most overwhelming things for me in preparing for the arrival of our son, has been getting Rachel Grace moved over to her new room and big bed.

I know I know, it's not necessary for her or the baby to have their own room, we can move her over later, and essentially she doesn't need anything special for her room. But we have the room available so I want her to be able to have it, plus she already wakes up to anything, and I do want to have a cute girly room for her because well, we can!

The problem has been from the beginning between morning (all day) sickness, exhaustion, Brad working a lot, and Rachel Grace continually being more active it's hard to find time to work on such products. Her new room was the Office, or more of a storage facility for most of the products I carry for my store. The computer desk is piled with stuff from months ago that I have been too overwhelmed to tackle ( I mainly use the laptop now, the only reason we still have the desktop is because we need to figure out how to transfer files to the laptop, otherwise there's no room left on it as it's from 1998), shelf was full of pictures that need to go into albums years ago, and then other misc. items we need to get rid of, and many boxes of products as I prefer to keep them up here rather than in the basement.

Well the family holiday events are over (except for the misc. Christmas cards we are still waiting to get people's addresses for - oops), and we're sort of down to the wire where we need to do this. Got paint this week which was quite the search. I was looking for natural/green paint as we will be in the house when the painting is done and I will probably once again be doing some of the painting. As I've been using more natural products over the years, I am continually more aware of and sensitive to the smells of chemicals and other harmful substances. We don't use chemical cleaners in our house, so why would I want to fill our house with chemical paint!

The search began with only finding natural/green paint for $40 a gallon, which WOAH, NOT in our budget. And of course Brad would not have that - it's paint! Well through the help of some friends and forums, I finally got the idea to call a local paint store and we were able to get NO VOC Paint that meets Green standards for a price that is probably too low for me to publically post. Hallman Lindsay was very nice to us and a great store!

And of course, it took me probably an hour to decide on a color, but we went for a lavender for Rachel Grace. Just those samples and slightly different shades can be so hard to choose from. I was hoping she would take more interest and decide which color she wanted, so it would be hers, but she more or less wanted to play with the samples.

Brad was suppose to have off of work today (well, yesterday by the time this posts) after his 7 days of 3rd shift, but he had to go in this morning due to others taking off. Thankfully he was able to just take a half day. Stuff didn't get done as much as originally planned, and my parents weren't able to come out to help like as planned because of the snow. But once Rachel Grace was sleeping, we started working and getting everything organized and moved. Quite the job as I have to have it all done a certain way by moving items on this shelf to here so that these can go here and that can go there type of thing. Whereas if it was just Brad working on it, it would've been done last week, but I'd have NO clue where anything was! LOL!

All that said and done all the products are out and most other stuff is out of the "office" and Brad is currently painting the ceiling. Why the ceiling? Well, when we bought the house, the entire room was a very light pastel pink - the walls and the ceiling. We had primed the walls and ceiling, painted the walls, but never painted the ceiling, so you could still see the pink in the ceiling! Had we known 4 years later we'd be moving a little girl to that room, maybe we would've just left it, but most likely not since it wasn't my type of pink.

So I am excited, the ceiling will be finished being painted tonight and then tomorrow during the day we plan on doing the walls! I'm not helping with the ceilings because that is hard for me to reach when I'm not pregnant, but I will help with the walls and I am sure take frequent breaks. Might be a bit complicated with Rachel Grace running around, but maybe we'll wait til her nap. Handprints would be cute though, wouldn't they, all throughout the house - but it's those lavender footprints on our hardwood floors and white carpet I would not like! LOL!

Okay, well if you made it through, kudos to you! I must be off to finish working on some other stuff I should've completed a couple of days ago, and hopefully Brad and I will both get to sleep soon. She slept til 9am this morning, but I doubt she will do that again.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to have pictures up of our before and after! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment